Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Project 11: Replacing my defective Battery

Project Description: To get a replacement for my defective battery.

Cause of Project: My battery is defective, it would go down to around 35% and shutdown without warning

Difficulty: Hard, it's a bit like being a lawyer.

Length of Project: 2 hours

What I did: I called Apple Support:

Me: Hi, i'm pretty sure that my MacBook's battery is defective.
Apple: Okay, can you tell me your serial number and name?

Serial number and name told and confirmed

Apple: Sorry, your warranty of your MacBook's battery has expired.
Me: I have Apple Care Protection Plan, and it says that all hardware is covered for 3 years.
Apple: Well, the battery is a disposable (I think that's what they said) part and is only covered for 1 year.
Me: Oh. That means that I have to order a new battery right?
Apple: Well, you can go to an Apple Retail Store to get your MacBook checked up on and repaired for a cheaper price than if you were to buy a new battery.
Me: Can I bring my MacBook to an Apple Service Provider?
Apple: Yes, and there is an Apple Service Provider near you in... It would probably be cheaper than going to a Retail Store. Here is the name and telephone number...

This could have been the end. I could have done what he suggested. And that would also mean the end of this blog. But due to financial problems, I would really rather not pay for repair. I went back to this page and discovered that the Intel Core Duo computers receive coverage for up to 2 years, and my MacBook had an Intel Core Duo processor! Only problem, was that the battery exchange program was only for computers bought between February 2007 to April 2007. I bought mine on April 7 2007. Any way, I decided to give it a try with new "evidence" and ran Apple Support again:

Apple: May I have your serial bumber and name?

Serial number and name told and confirmed

Apple: It seems like you already called earlier today and you were advised to go to an Apple Service Provider. Is that right?
Me: (not stunned by this statement,) yes I have called earlier today, but I have just checked the apple page about defective batteries, and it said on it that "For MacBook and MacBook Pro systems with Intel Core Duo processors, this program extends repair coverage on the battery for up to two years from the date of purchase of the computer."
Apple: (Talks something about how the battery doesn't have to do with when the computer was bought)
Me: It also says at the end of this page that that "This program extends repair coverage on the battery for up to two years from the date of purchase of the computer for Intel Core Duo-based MacBook and MacBook Pro computers"
Apple: I understand, but according to our database of serial numbers, your battery is not covered. But, I will have to speak with (someone that has to do with the website) to find out if your battery is covered or not.
Me: Will I have to call or e-mail them?
Apple: No, it's okay, I'll call them and I'll call you back. 

30 minutes later...

Me: Hello?
Apple: Hi, this is Apple Support, is this a good time to talk?
Me: Yes, I can talk. (I could tell by the tone of her voice that it was most likely good news)
Apple: Well, I talked to (whoever it was she talked to) and they said that the symptoms can indeed be caused by a defective battery, and so we will be sending a new battery to you in around 2~3 days and when the battery arrives, Apple needs to take back the defective battery to make sure that it is defective. Is that alright?
Me: Yes, but I do have another question, if it does happen to be my MacBook's problem, what will happen then?
Apple: Well since you are covered with Apple Care Protection Plan, we can take back your MacBook and repair it for free. However I recommend you backup your hard drive first.
Me: Yes, I am already doing that. Will I have to pay for delivery?
Apple: No, it is free off charge.
Me: Ok, thank you for your time. Bye.


Challenges: Making them believe that my battery is covered!

What I have learnt: When calling Apple Support on a subject that includes replacement and warranty, you have to really think like a lawyer. Without evidence, you will not win the trial. By telling Apple Support that they are contradicting themselves according to their own website, they will most likely have to accept it. Oh yeah, and Apple Support keeps a record of all your phone calls and keeps most of the details of them, so I learnt that losing your temper on them won't help you in the future.

Status: Received Battery

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info, I'm having similar issues. Got a date at the Genius bar tomorrow.

BTW, no such word as LEARNT, it's LEARNED! Get a dictionary or use spell check!

Anonymous said...

Can anyone recommend the top Remote Management & Monitoring utility for a small IT service company like mine? Does anyone use Kaseya.com or GFI.com? How do they compare to these guys I found recently: N-able N-central help desk software
? What is your best take in cost vs performance among those three? I need a good advice please... Thanks in advance!

Matthias said...

@Anonymous1: Glad I could help. btw, Learnt is the british past tense of learn (according to the dictionary).

@Anonymous2: Depends what OS your IT company uses. I have little knowledge about Windows, but if you're using Mac OSX, I recommend Remote Desktop 3 simply because it's made by apple and is simple to use and is more compatible than other software http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/

Anonymous said...

I wish not concur on it. I assume warm-hearted post. Especially the title attracted me to be familiar with the sound story.