Monday, June 8, 2009

Summer Projects Overview

I must begin by expressing my appreciation for the opportunity to complete the work I have done over this past year with the ICT Department. It has been an incredible experience for me, and the knowledge I have gained from it is something I highly value. I would like to continue gaining more experience, not only for the next school year, but also over this summer.

 

The knowledge I gain from volunteering is great enough, but I believe that I can make my time even more valuable – not only to me, but to the school, and most importantly, to those less fortunate. I propose that in exchange for my volunteer hours, spent within the ICT Department this summer, voluntary sponsors would give charitable donations for the 1yen drive. This way, the school receives my services. I gain knowledge, and those less fortunate in our community might benefit from our combined efforts.

 

In the past, I have contributed in the following ways:

1.     Set up multiple video adapters, audio cables, and video cables

2.     Counted the number of video tapes in each department, and took note of their publishers

3.     Installed drivers for a scanner

4.     Started up a wiki

5.     Live Streamed school events

6.     Replaced defective batteries

7.     Successfully convinced Apple Support to replace an out-of-warranty battery

8.     Transferred files from an internal hard drive to an external hard drive

9.     Assessed how iPhones would effect a student’s learning experience

10.  Manipulated my iPhone to make it more flexible

11.  Transported multiple computers

12.  Re-imaged multiple computers

13.  Re-installed multiple computers

14.  Installed multiple RAM chips into both laptops and desktops

15.  Replaced a SuperDrive

16.  Made a functional MacBook from two nonfunctional ones

 

Other than above, I have leadership and accounting skills that I have gained through Student Council. As I have already spent the past year in both helping the IT, and worked effectively in Student Council, I am said to be a responsible person. In addition to that, I am always looking to challenges, as they are the things that teach me the most.

 

I look forward over the summer to contribute in the following ways:

 

1.     Update computers via Software Update after the computer is unfrozen, then refrozen after the installation of the updates.

2.     Collect, assess, clean, record, and redistribute computers and their accessories

3.     Re-image new computers (120)

 

Here is the proposal in more detail:

 

Dates Free: June 20~25, August 11~15 (unconfirmed, will notify later about availability between these dates when further details are available)

 

Wage (100% to Charity): Chosen by sponsor

 

Any one can sponsor me by agreeing to donate a set amount of money per hour. There is no minimum to this, as every little donation will make a difference for Charity. Records will be kept on an Excel worksheet, and will be posted on my blog, and can be distributed freely. The final copy of the record will be printed out as well. There is no deadline for sponsorship applications, but it is highly recommended to get them in before the first working day (June 20th).

 

With a look to the future, I envision having a team of summer interns either contributing directly to meet YIS needs, or that of the community, on behalf of YIS. I would like to organize corporate sponsorships of volunteers to perform or contribute to set goals, with the time contributed reimbursed by these companies as charitable donations to either pre determined charities or YIS.

 

Thank you for your consideration,

 

Matthias De Ruyver

No comments: